Re: [gnugo-devel] scoring bug?

From: Gunnar Farnebäck
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] scoring bug?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 21:37:52 +0100

Todd Sprang wrote:
> if you examine this game, by the typical rules i've seen everywhere
> else, the score would be black 23:white 21 (one black stone captured
> during play). the 4 black stones in the white territory are considered
> dead as they stand and are added to white's territory score of 16.

Yes, black wins by 2.

> instead, gnugo scores the game 23:2 since only one white territory is
> entirely surrounded by white. it really should figure that white's
> effectively captured the black stones on its side.

GNU Go has no difficulty scoring this correctly, e.g.:

Sulitelma 411% gnugo -l scoring.sgf --score finish
49 white (O) move PASS
50 black (X) move PASS
Black wins by 2.0 points

In fact I'm rather curious under what circumstances it could fail.

> (;GM[1]FF[4]AP[glGo:1.3.1]ST[1]SZ[9]KM[0.0]
> PW[Human]PB[Igo for windows]

Uh, isn't "Igo for windows" the 9x9 free download version of Many
Faces? Assuming that this is just a mistake, could it be that glGo is
scoring the game without consulting GNU Go (and maybe is expecting the
user to mark dead stones)?

/Gunnar