Re: Taking a second look to the site

From: GNU Herds work team
Subject: Re: Taking a second look to the site
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:57:00 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > We still have the issue of posting people looking for jobs.
>
>     We could require a Certification to be able to access the entity
>     filing card. The FSF could grant such certifications.
>
> This is something we need to think about more.  Perhaps we could let
> members of one of the FSF's post when they are looking for jobs.  That
> will at least make it less likely that they look for non-free-software
> jobs.

We can add that feature, with the restrictions you want.

>     As, initially there will not be any entity with such certification,
>     they will not be able to view the entity qualifications filing card
>     that keeps the contact information. They will be only able to view the
>     anonymous summarized entity listing.
>
> I am confused here.  Are you still talking about posting people looking
> for jobs?  Or if not that, what are you talking about?

You are replying an old email. You rejected the "posting people looking for
jobs" feature (a.k.a. "FS Qualifications search facility"), so we deleted it.
If you want we can add it again, with the restrictions you want, to allow
persons to look for a free-software job before looking for non-free-software
jobs.  If you want allow it only to members of one of the FSF's, it is OK for
us. We will develop what you want.

> If the idea is to streamline checking when certain trusted companies
> post job offers, that could be a good idea.  I have nothing against
> it.  It seems like an optimization which could be added later if it is
> needed.

We are taking note of this optimization to be added later.

>     About the FS Qualifications search facility, we require a "FS Ethical
>     Business" or "GNU Business Network" certifications to be able to
>     access the entity filing card.
>
> I do not understand that statement.  I don't know what "access the
> entity filing card" means, or who would want to do that, or for what
> purpose.

By 'entity' we mean: person, company or non profit organization. These are the
user types the current web application supports. Note that an entity can be
both a worker and an employer. That is to day, a person is let to post job
offers too.

By "access the entity filing card" we mean, be able to read the entity contact
information. That is to say: email, telephone, etc.

Employer would want to access (read) the entities' qualifications and their
contact information to look for workers.

The "FS Qualifications search facility" has been deleted. Anyway, if you want,
we can add it again, with the restrictions you want, to allow persons to look
for a free-software job before looking for non-free-software jobs. If you
want let it only to members of one of the FSF's, it is OK for us. We will
develop what you want.

>     Users will be only able to view the
>     anonymous summarized entity listing without the entity contact
>     information.
>
> I can't begin to make sense of that.  It is too abstract for me to
> understand.  I don't know who the "users" are, or what an "entity" is.

We mean by "user", an entity already registered, accessing the web application
with his web browser.  The above paragraph was refering to an employer trying
to look for workers.  However, note that the "FS Qualifications search
facility" has been deleted. Therefore, such operation can not be realized
with the current state of the web application.

> This site will be used by workers that want jobs and by employers that
> offer jobs.  So when you talk about the operations on the site, please
> always relate what you say concretely to a worker or an employer, and
> say what operation he is trying to do.

Agreed.

P.S.: You can take a look to the working web application and tell us what you
want we do. If we get ideas, we will expound them to be analized. You can
take a look too to the tasks we plan to carry out at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?group=gnuherds-app

Regards,
The work team