Some website suggestions

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Some website suggestions
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:24:33 +0100

Hi all!

After using your website a bit, and checking out the page source, I've got a few suggestions. Most of these have probably been considered already, but humility was never my strong side :) Without further ado:

Feeds for news and search results (person / company / non-profit) would be useful for anyone interested in the project or data. Could be set up as DB triggers to avoid getting the data again for every user.

All valid email addresses should be accepted - I tried to register with address@hidden , but it didn't accept the plus sign.

Registration fields which are not mandatory could be hidden with some simple _javascript_, making the form more inviting. You could have a _javascript_ link to show the other fields for those who want to give more information.

Some strange _javascript_ / CSS makes a horizontal scroll bar appear when I hover the mouse pointer over the vertical scroll bar in Firefox 2.0.

_javascript_ should be independent of input mode; @onmouseover is not accessible.

Broken / disabled links should be hidden, not greyed out. That way, you remove ambiguity.

POST forms should only be used when you're sure you don't want the visitor to reload or bookmark the page. I guess that's not the case for https://www.gnuherds.org/View_Job_Offer.php.

Showing a default picture in case there is no picture provides no extra information for the users, and could be considered visual noise.

Starting the web site from scratch instead of using a CMS is a lot of work, but can give some long-term benefits:
--
Victor Engmark
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum viditar - What is said in Latin, sounds profound