Re: Some website suggestions

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Some website suggestions
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 19:42:35 +0100

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Feeds for news and search results (person / company / non-profit) would be
> useful for anyone interested in the project or data. Could be set up as DB
> triggers to avoid getting the data again for every user.

With the current Charter, this could be blocked by the Ethics Officer
according to:
  "The activities are operated in ways that do not lend themselves
   to be abused to the detriment of the Free Software philosophy."

Note the "FS Qualifications search" functionality was blocked.

Anyway, I have added a task at our Task Manager.
Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6445

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address_validator> should

Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6446

> Registration fields which are not mandatory could be hidden with some
> simple JavaScript, making the form more inviting. You could have a
> JavaScript link to show the other fields for those who want to give more
> information.

Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6447

We should try it out. Well, I have not personal option about it yet.

> Some strange JavaScript / CSS makes a horizontal scroll bar appear when I
> hover the mouse pointer over the vertical scroll bar in Firefox 2.0.

I have seen it too some month ago on Firefox 1.5 and right now again on
Firefox 2.0  :P

  After you raises one of the yellow-help-popups, when
  the mouse pointer is over the vertical scroll bar the
  horizontal scroll bar appears.

Konqueror 3.5.5 has not such problem. We could try on others browsers and ask
to the Firefox developers.

I think the cause is due to: Layer-0__Site_entry_point/scripts/popup.js

Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6448

> JavaScript should be independent of input mode; @onmouseover is not
> accessible.

I do not understand this point. Could you explain it?.

Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6449

> POST forms should only be used when you're sure you don't want the visitor
> to reload or bookmark the page. I guess that's not the case for
> https://www.gnuherds.org/View_Job_Offer.php

Cool!. I propose use GET parameters instead of POST in these cases. Let
me know any disagreement.

Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6450

> Showing a default picture in case there is no picture provides no extra
> information for the users, and could be considered visual noise.

Let's think a bit more about this.

Task: https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/index.php?6451

> Starting the web site from scratch instead of using a CMS is a lot of work,
> but can give some long-term benefits:
>
>    - Flexibility w/regard to programming language
>    - More terse pages, i.e. faster downloads & easier redesign
>    - Specialized database, which should be faster than a generic one

I agree with you about this point Victor.

Great feedback!,

Best regards,
Davi