Re: Affero GPL, GPL v3 draft 2, etc.

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Affero GPL, GPL v3 draft 2, etc.
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 23:19:41 +0100

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> For GPLv3 take a look on http://gplv3.fsf.org/comments/gplv3-draft-2.html .
>
> By me it's ok, all the points that are still in discussion they should
> not affect gnuherds.
>
> But please read carefully the discussion on the above link, if there
> are no problems we can use it and if necessary roll back to Affero (or
> others) in case of legal issues with GPLv3.

Beuc, who is one of the Savannah administrators, does not think the FSF
recommends licensing with GPL v3 draft 2.  So, my current personal opinion is
that we should keep temporally the Affero GPL up to GPL v3 be released.

To state it clearly, I propose to replace the below FAQ text:

    "Be licensed with the Affero GPL or similar, to
     cover use of the software over a computer network."

with:

    "Use a license to cover use of the software over
     a computer network. The current Affero GPL license
     will be replaced by GPL v3 when it be released.
     Anyway, the project is always open to discuss this
     and any other subject."

As usual, let me know any disagreement or improvement, etc.

Davi