Re: Minor markup cleanup

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Minor markup cleanup
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:46:23 +0200 (CEST)

Victor Engmark wrote:
> Just thought I'd start small on getting to know the system, and I've got a
> few questions left after reading the Hackers' Guide:
>
>    - Is it OK for me to start hacking around on the HTML templates,
>    removing &nbsp;s, adding title attributes, changing headers to <h*>,
>    validation, that kinda thing?

It is OK!

>    - Should I always create a Savannah task before starting to hack?

No.  I think Savannah tasks are good for:

  * Take note about a task which is going to be carried out later, just
    to no forget it.

  * Coordination of some development o maintenance task, to get out of
    this list that 'specific' traffic.  For example: The Italian
    translation task is used by David, me, and any other who comment
    something about it.

General speaking, if you are going to send an email, it is better send it
to this list, so as to all the list can read it, and send feedback if
needed. The problem of the Savannah task is that by default only a subset
of guys get the warning emails. I do not like too how the thread view of
the conversation is lost in the Savannah task view.

>    Should I wait for someone to review it?

Review the Savannah task?.  If you create a new one, only you will
will notice it (via an email).  Of course, at least somebody go to the
Savannah task page and do a _manual_ review.

You could create a new one, an close it, just to take a first contact with
the Savannah tasks manager.

>    - Do I really have to use LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 for editing in vim?
>    Shouldn't I set encoding=utf-8 in .vimrc instead?

My solution was install UTF-8 as the default encoding on my PC, and
install several locales es_ES, it_IT, en_US. Reboot. Anyway I am using
en_US even to edit all the translation, the Spanish, Italian, Portuguese,
.. all renders OK. Well, except a odd character of a native Language.

>    - Do you have a standard for the code / CVS comments?

No, right now.  Do you propose someone?.

Note that there is a section on the Hacker's Guide which talk about the
coding standard which theoretically we should use. But the link
did not work, so I think I removed it.

Do you know some standard which we could link to, and try to follow to
write our code?.

>    - What is the review process like? Should I submit the files to
>    someone before committing?

It is good idea submit it to this email list, so as to all can take a
look. At least for your first patch. Although I know the quality of your
code will be better than the one currently at the CVS server :)

Davi