Re: Updated header.tpl

From: Victor Engmark
Subject: Re: Updated header.tpl
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:16:57 +0200

The image should not have a border, like at gnuherds.org. I wasn't sure if that was already in the CSS rules.

> >    - Maybe the language title attribute should say something like "Change
> >    language to X".
>
> I personally think it is obvious that at that heading position, the text:
>      "English, Español, Français, ..."
> will carry to the translation of those languages.
>
> Additionally, I personally think that if we want a short heading we should not
> add that new sentence.  Anyway, I am not sure. What is your rationale?.

The reason was simply that the @title is just the name of the language translated into the current locale, as in
I'm not sure how the current @title helps, that's all. Here's a summary of the attributes available for language control:
By the way, if we internally use the country code with the language (as in "_US"), we should use the same in the language attributes. It's more precise and accurate, and if we get languages like fr_CA or en_UK later, it's a good idea to make sure the system is built that way bottom-up.

> >    - I have not uploaded or tested these changes.
>
> At my development environment, it looks as the below screenshot:
>   https://www.gnuherds.org/div-screenshot.png
>
> Maybe it looks odd due to the others *.tpl must be modified too to remove all
> the tables, before all be working ?.

Yeah, a change in a table based design usually messes up the whole site. I'll get to work with the rest.

> Anyway, you can see as we never must commit something to CVS before checking
> it previously.
>
> You could setup your own development environment following the bellow
> link-guide, to test this things:
> http://www.gnuherds.org/GNU_Herds_Hackers_Guide.php#How_to_install_a_development_environment

I'll see if I can - I already have a server running which I don't want to mess with. It would be great to have a central testing environment for this kind of thing, but I guess it's too much work for now.

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin, sounds profound