Re: GNU Herds https certificate

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds https certificate
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 00:30:02 +0200

Neal E. Coombes wrote:
> > Could you update the gnuherds.org information as exposed below?
>
> All of these fields require an individuals first and last name. I can add
> the GNU Herds stuff as the organization name for many of these. I can also
> set their email addresses as specified although godaddy help says this:
>
> Registrant
>   The domain owner.
>
> Admin
>   The contact who can interact with the registry or registrar for
>   the domain owner.
>
> Technical
>   The contact who manages the domain. But since I'm on the email
>   lists I shouldn't miss any emails that need me to take action (and
>   even if I do, you'll make sure I see them, I hope! :)

Sure :)  I will follow contributing.

> So I guess I propose updating the tech and admin organization to
>    GNU Herds - Free Software Association
> and updating their email addresses to the address@hidden
>
> I recommend against setting the admin email to address@hidden
> because that I think is the community address and not the administrative
> address (or has this changed?).

The Decisions section [1] of the Charter reads:

  "The goal of the committee is to administer the Association and execute
   the decisions taken by the members. Therefore, all decisions will be
   voted upon by the membership."

  [1] http://gnuherds.org/charter#Decisions

As the domain name is one of the control pieces, IMHO the project should set
the admin email address to address@hidden, so exposing clearly the
project is in control of its members, as the association charter expose.

   Registrant:
     GNU Herds - Free Software Association
     address@hidden

   Admin:
     GNU Herds - Free Software Association
     address@hidden

   Tech Name:
     GNU Herds work team
     address@hidden

"gnuherds-app-dev@" just executes the decisions taken by "association@".
IMHO all fit with the membership Charter section [2].

  [2] http://gnuherds.org/charter#Membership

If it is needed we must think a little more. The project is not in a hurry. We
can follow talking about this subject if it is needed. The more opinions the
better.

> I would also be happy to put a different individuals name in those fields
> if you think that would benefit us.
>
> Let me know how you think I should proceed.

The goal is pass the below buy conditions [3], and at the same time improve
the information reported by the "whois gnuherds.org" if it is possible:

 "All certificate requests (CSR) must contain an Organization Name (O) that
  is exactly the same that appears at public domain name registries as the
  owner of the domain."

 [3] http://certs.ipsca.com/srvc/BuyConditionsText.htm
     Ref. from: http://certs.ipsca.com/srvc/Buy.asp