Re: [Gnumed-devel] need assessment from fellow clinicians

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] need assessment from fellow clinicians
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:27:52 +0200

> Now if you come to the over-riding diagnosis last, how will you mark then
> connection?
> Lady, about 65 develops NIDDM.
> NIDDM progresses rapidly to requiring insulin
> She develops vulval dystrophy (*obviously* unconnected)
> 5 years later she has alopecia totalis and is diagnosed as DLE.
> Later, I realise that she never had NIDDM, she has autoimmune disease and
> destroyed her pancreas and her skin.
> this is a real case - and I have another similar case.
> the problem is real, because the chronic disease by nature will first appear
> as a series of unconnected episodes. then a connection is made to an
> underlying problem.

This is *precisely* what we allow to do with the entire
issues/episodes stuff.

In that lady I would have recorded a bunch of episodes over
time. Early in that development I would have thought I had
identified NIDDM as an issue but later found out that
all those episodes really belong to "autoimmune disease". No
problem - just relink the episodes and done !

The above is also quite a nice example of why I think most of
the time the doc will deal with episode names rather than
issue names. Deciding on "issue" is rare. It is also why I
think at first most episodes will belong to the xxxDEFAULTxxx
health issue, eg. they aren't "issued" yet.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346