Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab data fetcher/importer connection methods

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab data fetcher/importer connection methods
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:23:11 -0500

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:09, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> > I should perhaps have said via SSH / SFTP (see below).
> > Would be happy to forward any proposals to Doug for
> > a suitable / preferred connection method for GnuMed
> > to access a mailbox design for data pickup.
>
> What comes to mind immediately is scp BUT that does not allow
> for removal of the file after retrieval. Likely that is why
> they prefer sftp over scp both of which are part of the ssh
> protocol suite.

I believe there is only one entirely satisfactory solution:
1.) the path lab send results via S/MIME encrypted email
2.) the requesting doctor polls that mailbox, receives, decrypts and decodes
the message. It's up to the recipient to delete the message from the mail
server if and when indicated.
3.) the recipient can then send a standard email ACK (receipt)

This is how it works between my path provider and me - simple, efficient, fool
proof. Easy to automatize with a simple script, easy to debug, unlikely that
anything ever gets lost or into the wrong hands, only using standard
protocols.

Horst