Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab data fetcher/importer connection methods

From: J Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] lab data fetcher/importer connection methods
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:20:00 -0800

At 5:23 PM -0500 2/15/05, Horst Herb wrote:
I believe there is only one entirely satisfactory solution:
1.) the path lab send results via S/MIME encrypted email
2.) the requesting doctor polls that mailbox, receives, decrypts and decodes
the message. It's up to the recipient to delete the message from the mail
server if and when indicated.
3.) the recipient can then send a standard email ACK (receipt)

This is how it works between my path provider and me - simple, efficient, fool
proof. Easy to automatize with a simple script, easy to debug, unlikely that
anything ever gets lost or into the wrong hands, only using standard
protocols.

So let me see, that makes a total of... aah... um... one doctor that your provider services ;-) ( I realize the supplier could be a branch lab, maybe the specimens are even processed elsewhere, I just couldn't resist...)

But for the less-initiated (me):

1) when you say "the requesting doctor polls", is is straightforward to set up the server to poll the mailbox, are special software packages required to process S/MIME email

2) would this approach scale well, for example if a lab (or data clearinghouse) had a thousand doctor groups, would the administrative workload for the lab to maintain such a system be unattractive?