Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Re: GNUmed needs your help
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 01:53:12 +0200

On Thursday 29 September 2005 23:12, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > >MySQL + PHP
> > >
> > >No need to say more.
> >
> > Observe the general MySQL hype
> > compared to other DBs.  I'm currently suffering from the decision of
> > people in our institute who are complete Linux newbees but have the
> > power to decide the distribution we will use in the future (SuSE).
> > The same people will decide for MySQL and PHP once it will come to
> > the tools we will use and will ignore other experiences.
> >
> > So, you need to say more for your target audience ...
>
> ???
>
> MySQL + PHP being used promise a harvest of low-hanging
> fruit faster than many other approaches including ours
> (PostgreSQL + Python + wxPython + stubborn backend
> developer). So what more is there to say, really ?
>
> Perhaps that we don't want to entrust our medical data to a
> database that's truncating integers and neither enforces
> ACID compliance ?
This information is what really counts. Though noone explicetly asked you one
cannot be expected to know this. To make this thread worth the words that
have been spent on this would you mind giving us some inside on why MySQL is
not a good idea.

I still don't see what would make php a bad option for the web interface but
maybe you can fill us in. Just in case anyone played with the idea of coding
a web frontend for GNUmed.

As far as I can tell noone has disputed the choice of language and or library.
The mere use of it does not help medically interested coders to see the
benefit of this choice. IMHO it's fine not to care about what other people
use but explicetly naming the reasons for choosing the libaries the GNUmed
project uses might just help people to see GNUmed's solid basis which you
care so much about.

Sebastian
release manager
--