Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.4.6

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Release 0.4.6
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:43:36 +0200

> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:54:18 +0200 Karsten wrote:
>
> I have uploaded the bug fix release 0.4.6.
> Changelog:
>         0.4.5 -> 0.4.6
>         FIX: missing space in update-available message
>         FIX: search_for_document by type ID: fk_type must be pk_type
> There are no database fixups to apply.
>
> The database version is (I expect) not to be confused with the server
> version

Ah, no, it's the same.

> however I notice as per my last posting that testing today installed
>    client 0.4.5
>    server 10.5
Because 0.4.6/10.6 still waits in unstable.

> whereas on the wiki it says
>    Client 0.4: -- v 0.4.6 (database v 10.6)
> and the hyperlink to database v10.6 reveals
>    http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/server/v10/
>    GNUmed-server.v10.6.tgz
>
> So does this mean there is a database 10.6 inside server 10.6
Yes, because those versions mean the same thing.

> and there can be a database 10.6 that requires no fixups from 10.5
> meaning that it is a nondestructive inclusive modification of (or
> import from) 10.5?

Well, the server package contains database definition files and code
to apply those to the PostgreSQL server. While the database definition
has not changed AT ALL between v10.5 and v10.6 there may be bug fixes
to the *code* handling setup of the database. This would also make the
server package different from the previous server package. However,
since the database is exactly the same - if you already have a 10.5
database the "no fixups are required" tells you that you don't need
to do anything to it to use it with the newer client.

Any bugs fixed in the server *code* may not have affected your previous
bootstrapping and thus all is well.

The release e-mail will always say when it is necesarry to apply fixups
to the database. It is also always safe (unless there is some bug with
*that*) to apply the fixup scripts to the existing database again:

Assuming you have a 10.5 database and 10.6 comes out. The notes say that
no changes are necessary. In case you are unsure you can simply and
safely apply all the fixup scripts that come with 10.6 (which will be
the same as those which came with 10.5) without any problem.

Karsten