Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements selection, formatting, behaviour

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements selection, formatting, behaviour
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:02:30 -0700

On 5-Jul-09, at 6:23 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 02:44:23PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

Single-cell "selection" is presently non-obvious, hence annoying.

That's platform-policy.

Meaning Linux or Debian or Gnome or a "GNUmed policy" ?

When
you click a cell, its borders are bolded however the Action button
rejects this as not properly selected... either the cell needs to be part
of a multi-cell selection or it needs to be double-clicked.

No. It needs to be shift-clicked (or ctrl-clicked or something).

I see that, now, although it escapes me why a single cell that has been clicked in, and whose borders are bolded, and is seemingly "in focus", is not a "selection" ... I suppose I could accept an argument that it is to protect the user from this cell being operated-on in the absence of having been deliberately shift-clicked but

It seems presently unsupported to be able to make a discontinuous
selection.

The wiki explains how.

the method of a discontinuous selection does not, to me, make sense... one must not touch the shift key, but must instead employ *2* other keys (ctrl and alt)... is this typical under Linux distros, or just Gnome?

In the wiki it says "if the cell holds multiple values..." but should
this be "when a selection holds multiple values..."

It should be "if the *selected* cell holds multiple values".

I did not realize that a single cell in the measurements grid can hold more than one value... is any format already defined in the backend for a single measurement row's column (either val_num or val_alpha) to contain multiple values?

Or are we using the term "cell" differently?

(GNUmed will let you choose which *one* to edit? But how?)

By showing a list and letting you pick one.

It appears that users are permitted (via the editing measurement window)
to supply their own value into the indicator column, thereby either
filling in a blank or, as the case may be, replacing what was previously
there?

yes

I did notice that when I supply my own value of "!!" that this "!!" does
not get displayed into the grid... is it because the plugin refuses to
display values other than + and - ?

No, it should display it. How did you "supply" ?

I did not intend to say "value", I intended the "value for the indicator" which, when I "again" put "!!" into the Indicator field of the "Editing measurement" window, did accept and display it.

Presently the existence of any clinician-added comments is hinted by
ellipses … following on the result however might it be better to follow
on the abnormality indicator, if one exists, in other words in place of
17.3…(++)
do
17.3 (++) …

This could result in

"17.3…(++) … <signing hand>"

meaning:

- value is 17.3
- but we cannot display the full result (because it is longer than 8 characters)
- this is too high
- there's comments
- this result isn't signed yet

Is that OK with everyone ?

yes, the above gives a visual distinction whether there exists one, or both, among
- more "result" to see, than can be shown, and/or
- comments to be seen

Speaking of room, I tried to resize (wider) the right border of a measurements display column, but got something worse, a set of scroll bars that consumed some of the existing space (see screenshot), and which I could not figure how to get rid of. Would there be any options to set any columns wider?

A tooltip question... when hovering over any results, what does it mean in the tooltip when it says:

Measurement details of most recent (topmost) result:

because this same line is used inside the tooltip, seemingly no matter which result is hovered over. Can we dispense with (remove / delete) this line? Is it meant to explain that the tooltip contents are (in the case of measurements) not generic advice, but specific to this result? IMO it is pretty self-explanatory.

PNG image