Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements selection, formatting, behaviour

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Measurements selection, formatting, behaviour
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 10:44:23 +0200

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 09:02:30PM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

>>> Single-cell "selection" is presently non-obvious, hence annoying.
>>
>> That's platform-policy.
>
> Meaning Linux or Debian or Gnome or a "GNUmed policy" ?

In this case it can mean something between OS (MSWINDOWS),
to desktop environment (Mac), to UI toolkit (wxgtk).

>> No. It needs to be shift-clicked (or ctrl-clicked or something).
>
> I see that, now, although it escapes me why a single cell that has been
> clicked in, and whose borders are bolded, and is seemingly "in focus", is
> not a "selection" ...

Because the toolkit developers decided that it would be
useful for the individual programmers to be able to make
their application differentiate between something getting
"in focus" vs something getting "marked == selected for
further work upon it, possible as part of a
multi-selection."

> the method of a discontinuous selection does not, to me, make sense...
> one must not touch the shift key, but must instead employ *2* other keys
> (ctrl and alt)... is this typical under Linux distros, or just Gnome?

I think wxgtk under KDE only requires Shift+Click.

>>> In the wiki it says "if the cell holds multiple values..." but should
>>> this be "when a selection holds multiple values..."
>>
>> It should be "if the *selected* cell holds multiple values".
>
> I did not realize that a single cell in the measurements grid can hold
> more than one value...

It must because the column labels are granular to the day.

> is any format already defined in the backend for a
> single measurement row's column (either val_num or val_alpha) to contain
> multiple values?

The backend doesn't care. Each measurement is a row.

But each grid cell can show (data turned into information
from) several rows.

>>> I did notice that when I supply my own value of "!!" that this "!!"
>>> does not get displayed into the grid... is it because the plugin refuses
>>> to display values other than + and - ?
>>
>> No, it should display it. How did you "supply" ?
>
> I did not intend to say "value", I intended the "value for the
> indicator" which,

I understood as much.

> when I "again" put "!!" into the Indicator field of
> the "Editing measurement" window, did accept and display it.

OK, so that's solved ?

>> This could result in
>>
>>      "17.3…(++) … <signing hand>"
>>
>> Is that OK with everyone ?
>
> yes, the above gives a visual distinction whether there exists one, or
> both, among
>       - more "result" to see, than can be shown, and/or
>       - comments to be seen

OK, done.

> A tooltip question... when hovering over any results, what does it mean
> in the tooltip when it says:
>
>       Measurement details of most recent (topmost) result:

That refers to multi-result cells -- details are shown for
the top-most == most recent result only.

> because this same line is used inside the tooltip, seemingly no matter
> which result is hovered over. Can we dispense with (remove / delete) this
> line? Is it meant to explain that the tooltip contents are (in the case
> of measurements) not generic advice, but specific to this result? IMO it
> is pretty self-explanatory.

I now conditionalised that header line to multi-result cells
only. For some strange reason, however, the first line also
serves as a width definer for the tooltip window so we
cannot get rid of a header line completely. Single-result
cells will therefor now display

        "Measurement details:                                         "

in the first line.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346