Re: [Gnumed-devel] Difficulties Establishing GNUmed local setup!

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Difficulties Establishing GNUmed local setup!
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:48:19 +0200

Am Mittwoch 29 Juli 2009 04:30:14 schrieb Don Fox:

Hi Don Fox,

Thank you for your effort to try GNUmed. I am positive we can get you going
shortly. If the reply futher down does not help please come back with more
questions.

> Our team of developers is having difficulty setting  up a local
> version of GNUmed 0.5.rc4 on UBUNTU. The server is v10.6.

I take it you have set up version 0.4.6 and server v10.5 correctly ?
By the way. You need a v11 database for the 0.5 cleint series.

This is mentioned here:
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ReleaseStatus#CurrentRelease

When you bootstrap (create a database) from this package

http://www.gnumed.de/downloads/server/v11/GNUmed-server.v11.rc4.tgz

It will get you a working v11 database for use with the 0.5 client series

> I already have PostgreSQL v1.8.7 installed and running.

?? Postgresql v1.8.7 ? You need 8.3.x. I believe 8.3.7 is out. But since you
are running Ubuntu you can use the one that come with Ubuntu. Which version of
Ubuntu are you using anyway ?

> It doesn’t recognize the standard admin. password ‘postgre’.

this is Ubuntu specific then. For GNUmed you never need this password since
you root will sudo into postgres if needed.

For this to work out you will have to refer to Postgresql ans Ubuntu on how to
set the superuser password . I doubt it is 'postgre'

> I’ve installed postgresql on other systems and never had this trouble.

Great. That will make GNUmed installation easier for you.

> This may be the issue on UBUNTU,

Have you tried to set up on Ubuntu and access it via pgadmin3 before
continueing with GNUmed-server ?

> but I was unable to successfully
> install a local setup on a Mac where this was not an issue!

You probably meant to say 'able to' ?

> I’ve been attempting the generic ‘Any Linux/Unix’ installation because
> the server installation fails using the UBUNTU specific track.

Please elaborate. If you use the provide Ubuntu package from the PPA in a
default Ubuntu installation you should be getting a working gnumed server
part. But since the packages are for v10.6 you cannot connect with a 0.5
client. As a first measure you can however make v0.4.6 and server 10.6 work
and once this is properly working you can easily update the database through
the 'update-db.sh  10 11' command.

Details are provided here:
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/UbuntuGuideLong
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ServerUpgrade
http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/ServerInstall

Once you have the update in place it is wise to remove the system wide
installation of the package gnumed-client and gnumed-server.

> For client installation:
>
> I check and satisfy all dependencies using the provided scripts and
> then run the script for local installation.
>
> ./gm-install_client_locally.sh 0.5.rc4

Good to know.

> I modify pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf as per the instructions on the
> web site.

Good.

> As expected .gnumed appears in my home dir. Looks successful!
>
> For server and back end databases:
>
> I use the instructions under ‘GNUmed Server Instalation’, the ‘generic
> Linux and MacOSX: local install. All seems to go well!

Did it say. we most likely succeeded at the end of the installtion ?

Please provide us with the log files. That is bootstrap-*.log and the client
log file. If you have trouble locating them let us know.

> Attempting to login to local GNUmed I’m told that ‘any-doc’ is not
> recognized by the backend.

Here we need the log files.
Since you have continuesly mentioned Mac here is there a chance you are
running on a Mac and might consider packaging GNUmed for the Mac ?