Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 00:12:10 -0800

On 2009-11-22, at 1:59 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

Inbox
====
the inbox item "Kirk is of to Galactica" if double-clicked is of an
Unknown message type. Are message types and their handling intended to
be configured anywhere via the frontend?

No. Maybe this message is more confusing than helpful ? Should we demote
it to a status line message ?  Or do nothing at all ?

I would rather not give an answer before understanding what might still be a good idea. Is the issue that there exists a "type" which is "status line" and if you changed this particular message's "message type" (to "status line") this would give an already-defined behaviour?

Is the already-defined behaviour of a status line (upon being double-clicked) simply to disappear, or are additional options intended, such as the ability to pop-open the item in case the message content was longer than could be show in a single row of the UI, or perhaps there could be value forwarding it to some other individual in the praxis (with or without editing)?

In the alternative, was there some thinking that there would be value to a
message type = FYI
that would have different behaviour than a "status line" and it is merely a matter that the alternate handling has not yet been coded?

Substances
=========
the default view when clicking "on" the checkbox "Unapproved" shows
"O" which is again a wx issue of default column widths… it seems to
auto-scale only to the width of the widest content (checkmark) while
ignoring the width of the heading ("OK?")

will make that a fixed, sufficient, width

the new Episode and Brand grouping behaviour as discussed on list will
presumably appear in rc2

yes

the substances are presumably being displayed as user-entered as raw
data or as looked up from an external database?

What is displayed is native to the GNUmed database.

You mean "the tables, as shipped" which, after local activation, can be added to?

Whether it came from
an external lookup or was user entered doesn't matter.

External databases are used as data source only.

In my own case I think  there's no external database.

At least GNUmed doesn't know of any (hence my offer off-list).

Questions:

clin.consumed_substance
... is the internal reference data
... normalizes, across what different patients consume, the substance name (and ATC, if the substance has an ATC)
... provides the foreign key constraint for clin.substance_intake
... allows more than one substance to have the same ATC because the ATC may not be unique?

clin.substance_brand
... external database
... design is very limited at this stage (brand names per ATC code)
... eventually the strength and preparation and brand might come from this or a linked normalization table

but presently only the name (normalized) comes from clin.consumed_substance and nothing comes from the external database except the brand names via ATC lookup (but not using foreign key constraints)

The drug "generic" (chemical, nonproprietary) names are HCT
and Metoprolol whereas in my pharmacology classes and in reference
texts these are spelt with lower case. Presumably any change at the
local database level will not be specific to the patient but to all
patients in the local database.

If you go to GNUmed / Master Data / Substances you'll change the
reference INN being linked to from various patients, yes.

clin.consumed_substance ?

Maybe a date field is missing from the Edit widget?

No.