Re: Printing was Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: Printing was Re: Feedback Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed Release 0.6.rc1
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:58:44 +0100

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 02:51:01PM -0800, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> Print will indeed create some treeware, eventually !  :-)
> >
> > Thinking on how to do it. I tend to favour LaTeX.
>
> Does wxWidgets offer the capacity to evoke a print manager layer which will
> offer the user

It has got some sort of print manager built in but that's
fairly involved to use.

> If wxWidgets will *not* be involved, how will output get to the printer or
> into a "print as PDF" alternative?

By producing a .ps or .pdf and invoking either a standalone
print manager (say, kdeprint) or by invoking a system level
print tool (say, lpr).

> Also, would everything that prints be the result of a
> query, or would there be some stuff that would be printed
> from memory variables, or GNUmed user configurational file
> content, or from the user's system for example current date
> and time?

That entirely depends - we need to produce a printable file
first anyway (so, pragmatically, either postscript of pdf).

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346