gnump3d-devel

[Gnump3d-devel] Re: RSS Feeds in GNUMP3d

From: kracker
Subject: [Gnump3d-devel] Re: RSS Feeds in GNUMP3d
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 21:11:32 -0600

oops, too late <smirk />

I spent a nice 3 hour chunk writing a plugin to serve rss for gnump3d
('rss.pm') via /rss

I only ran into one painful problem while implementing the plugin. I
ran into the `negative feature` when trying to validate the plugin's
output rss. I found that by default most plugin content output has the
expectation that the content type as sent via the http headers should
be the same as the template file ('rss.html') thus reporting it to be
text/html

I patched gnump3d to allow detection ($REQUEST uri) of /rss and an
alternate content type to be reported (instead as text/xml). I realize
that this may not be the most flexible or dynamic solution, but it did
solve the http header content type fails to report rss as text/rss bug
in the short term. It does make me wonder how other items like m3u
content type headers are sent :?

I'll post the code just as soon as I have a few more bugs worked out.
I might note that this rss functionality could be added to just about
any view with the right mix of logic to be added. I personally based
my alpha code off the existing plugin recent.pm

I realize today another more useful plugin might be a dynamic mp3u
playlist generator for the recently added tracks? The rss is great for
notifying people remotely in an rss reader of a newly added file
(original goal) but this kinda falters in usefulness for a large set
of newly added files (intro dynamic playlist).

I read recently in gnump3-user that steve is considering adding a
plugin to to serve /new for browsers to view newly added content. I
think I might ask that this new.pm also offer and serve /new/mp3u to
return a dynamically created mp3u playlist of the recently added or
new files. In this way users could add
http://audio.example.com/new/mp3u  into their favorite streaming audio
client (hint, vlc) and play this content ... dynamically.

As I look at what I'm doing here, I realize  I may very well be
duplicating work already completed by steve (re: /new , new.pm an
gnump3d-top --new). Has any of this been completed, I checked cvs but
did not find any as of yet.

Wrapping up this stalled late post, I ran into a problem finding an
existing snippet of code or method to return the latest media so my
code right now is returning rss based on the last played media
instead.

Any thoughts ;)

//kracker
eminem - crazy in love (w/gnu*)