gnuspeech-contact

[gnuspeech-contact] Fwd: cvs

From: David Hill
Subject: [gnuspeech-contact] Fwd: cvs
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 20:46:47 -0700

Begin forwarded message:

Date: October 15, 2006 8:32:28 PM PDT (CA)
To: David Hill <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: cvs

Oh, one more thing. The way I am doing the port to OS X may be more 'invasive' than what you had in mind. As I am going through the source code, I am essentially changing everything that is done in a C/C++ style (such as the use of C strings, const char * , etc.) and changing them to use the equivalent Objective-C classes (e.g. NSString).  Also, there are places that use data structures such as an NXHashtable which in the OS X world is a "core foundation" class (CFHashtable or some such), which is part of Carbon. While these core foundation classes would work fine in Cocoa as well, I am changing these to use the equivalent Cocoa Objective-C class (such as NSDictionary); essentially I am taking a pure Cocoa approach.

Furthermore, none of the NEXTstep Objective-C code will work as-is in Cocoa. On the most basic level, at least the NX prefixes on all the Objective-C classes have to be changed to NS prefixes.

Here is my concern, however: while all this is a good way to port the application to a native Cocoa application, and is a good way for me to learn all about Cocoa on OS X, I have no idea what the implications to this are for the port to GNUstep.

Eric