gnuspeech-contact

Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Quickstart for the latest Gnuspeech?

From: David Hill
Subject: Re: [gnuspeech-contact] Quickstart for the latest Gnuspeech?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 08:28:06 -0700

As a first step, check out what is written in Appendix D of the Monet Manual concerning producing speech from gnuspeechsa.

gnuspeechsa is a command-line program, and you should be able to produce speech by entering an appropriate command, which will result in a sound file in the location you specify which you can play. For example, if you are in the directory into which gnuspeechsa has been compiled, the command would be:

./gnuspeechsa -v -c ../../data/en -p trm_param_file.txt -o do-you-happen.wav "Do you happen to know by chance what time it is?"

(Note that the manual has unfortunately got a misprint for this command example, by inserting a "\_" in gnuspeechsa.)

There's a recording on YouTube of the resulting speech output that is produced, repeated three times at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUrODiSkWk8&feature=youtu.be

I have also passed a copy of your email to the contributor responsible for gnuspeechsa. He has had to drop  participation in GNU project for now, in order to take time out for other things, but may be able to make some helpful comments which I can pass on to you.

In GNU/Linux applications users may use Gnuspeechsa for output from an application by using Speech-dispatcher:

YELAVICH, LUKE , JAN BUCHAL, TOMAS CERHA, HYNEK HANKE, MILAN ZAMAZAL, C.M. BRANNON, WILLIAM HUBBS, ANDREI KHOLODNY (undated). Speech Dispatcher, http://devel.freebsoft.org/speechd, accessed 2015-07-24.

Yes, the release manuals are quite technical, but the technology underlying synthetic speech is not simple. You can learn a lot by studying the background matyerial in the manuals, as well as some of the papers that are linked.

Happy hacking!

david
--------
David Hill
--------
Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures  (Tao Te Ching #67)
---------