Re: Of applications and documents

From: David Adam Bordoley
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:04:16 -0400

Pascal Bourguignon writes:

How plan  you to make  it more successful  than the Lisa  (ancestor of
Macintosh) or the OpenDoc architecture?
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macos8/Legacy/OpenDoc/opendoc.html

Open doc was an idea ahead of its time. Its pretty clear to me that the application metaphor doesn't scale well at all once you amass a large number of different tasks (see the windows start menu for instance), plus from a user stand point its much more natural to approach using a computer by manipulating the data as oppose to using programs (for instance a view of your music should always provide a music playing interface, as oppose to needing to start a music playing app). How do I plan to make it more succesful. Well by making it work of course :) Simply implementing another windows/mac clone seems pretty silly to me, clearly gnome and kde have already for the most part succeeded at that (for better or worst), linuxstep/gnustep on the other hand, really have a chance to truly create a new and much more usable system. Anyway my words are really more for encouragement and the hope that linuxstep can really become something better than the rest :)
dave