Re: Of applications and documents

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 06:11:24 +0200

David Adam Bordoley writes:
> Pascal Bourguignon writes:
>

> > How plan  you to make  it more successful  than the Lisa  (ancestor of
> > Macintosh) or the OpenDoc architecture?
> >
> > http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macos8/Legacy/OpenDoc/opendoc.html
>
> Open doc was an idea ahead of its time.
>
> Its pretty clear to me that the application metaphor doesn't scale well at
> all once you amass a large number of different tasks (see the windows start
> menu for instance), plus from a user stand point its much more natural to
> approach using a computer by manipulating the data as oppose to using
> programs (for instance a view of your music should always provide a music
> playing interface, as oppose to needing to start a music playing app).
>
> How do I plan to make it more succesful. Well by making it work of course :)
> Simply implementing another windows/mac clone seems pretty silly to me,
> clearly gnome and kde have already for the most part succeeded at that (for
> better or worst), linuxstep/gnustep on the other hand, really have a chance
> to truly create a new and much more usable system. Anyway my words are
> really more for encouragement and the hope that linuxstep can really become
> something better than the rest :)
>
> dave

For example,  the first  step would probably  to remove the  menus, as
they're known.  Each  object should have its own  pop-up menu, used to
send them their  proper messages.  Users are not  ready to accept that
it seems.

Smalltalk was close to that. Oberon too.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.