Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018

From: Daniel Ferreira (theiostream)
Subject: Re: [IMPORTANT] Ideas for Summer of Code 2018
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 02:02:50 -0800

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Ivan Vučica <address@hidden> wrote:
> did you come up with a blurb?

Sorry for the delay.

I was just looking over
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Summer_Of_Code_Ideas and I think
what we have there currently serves as a description with the
following adjustments:

<<EOF

Port WebKit

Running WebKit on top of GNUstep will solve a lack of a modern web
view on the framework's stack as well as contribute to parity with
macOS within the project.

As of 2018, a recent revision of WebKit has been successfully built
with GNUstep libraries on Arch Linux + clang + libobjc2.
JavaScriptCore (WebKit's JavaScript engine) is mostly functional;
WebCore and WebKitLegacy.framework are built but a sample browser
still crashes. This has been possible through a series of additions to
GNUstep as well as some patches to WebKit. For more details, see
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2017/projects/6384501231976448/.

The work ahead involves a *lot* of debugging and implementation of
Foundation/CoreFoundation/CoreGraphics/QuartzCore functions to support
this.

Difficulty: Very High; Experience needed: Expert at C/C++/Objective-C
Runtime and Core* Apple libraries. Debugging skills (e.g. gdb usage)
are also highly recommended.

EOF

Let me know if this format is inappropriate.

> Any preferences for meeting day? Wed and Thu evenings UTC are taken for me.

Thursday night/Friday morning PST work best for me. As far as my
calculations goes this does not conflict with these taken times.