Re: [Gomp-discuss] Plan de campagne?

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Plan de campagne?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:04:27 +0000 (GMT)

On 23 Jan 2003, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just joined this list yesterday so forgive me if this has already been
> discussed...

Welcome, nice to have you on board as well!

> The mailing list seems rather quiet, judging from a peek
> at the archives.

Correct. I guess it's just the initial inertia: we need to understand what
to do and how, before start to coding.

> Is there a plan/roadmap for an OpenMP implementation for GCC?  Or a
> project manifesto or whatever that outlines the different steps
> (targets) and subprojects that will have to be defined?

Lars Segerlund has kindly volunteered to write down a first draft of the
first architectural requirements. The idea is that the frontends should
just understand OpenMP directives, then in the intermediate phase,
building mainly on the tree-ssa branch (we have a few expert here), the
directives will be processed, optimised and possibly translated into
threads. Well, probably I am the least competent person in the list for
explaining that, so if somebody else wanted to say it more correctly...

However, this list is for discussion and we would be pleased to year your
opinion even before the draft appears.

Biagio