[Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Plan ... coments wanted !
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:25:40 +0100

 Hi,

For those who are following the gomp list you know that I'm working on a plan ( suggestion of a plan ) of how to extend gcc to support openMP.

There are some issues that have come up that have exposed some ignorance of mine regarding several issues, ( some gcc details, some openMP details ), so I will try to thoroughly study the issues involved during the weekend.

If anybody has ideas or suggestions please send them to me in order to get to grips with as much as possible at the first shot at a plan for the implementation, this in order not to have to redo a lot of work later.

  What I strive for is some general point as follows:

   1. Start with the backend and code generation.

2. Make it independent on the threading model at the level of the front- and middle end. ( the last term nicely stolen from steve :-) thanks )

3. Reduce the front end to back end interface to a set of common primitives, ( perhaps not possible, but desirable ).

4. As far as possible simplify the work that has to be done in the front end even if this means adding an additional 'layer' to gcc, and thoroughly specify the constraints that have to be imposed by the frontend in order to make this easy to integrate for the front end writers.

5. Keep the threading model and implementation ( which lib a.s.o. ) confined to as late in the code generating phase as possible.

 comments ?

   / regards, Lars Segerlund.