[Gomp-discuss] Stop whining ..

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Stop whining ..
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:03:36 +0100

 I think we whine a bit too much on how to implement some things in something
which we don't have code for.

 What is relevant is stuff like how we can handle the headers and GPL, and how
we do what we set out to do which I now intend to enlighten everyone on.

 If I'm not misinformed our original aims were:

 1'st and foremost to create an OpenMP gcc.

 2'nd to extend gcc's internal representation to handle parallell consturucts,
NOT ONLY OpenMP, i.e. to get a general parallell middle end.

 3'rd to target this middle end specifically for OpenMP and POSIX threads for a
start.

 This implies, ( if I'm not as stupid as some people think :-) ... ), that we
have to make the frontends work, and we have to have a working backend lib
which isn't too closely tied to the middle end, and a retargettable middle end
for the parallell part.

 I do believe that we had the outspoken aim of making a generic parallell
representation for the middle end and hook into our own creation to specificly
generate for OpenMP ?

 Is this still the way we aim to go ? If not what's wrong with it ? And if
somethings wrong with it what do we do instead ?

 / regards, lars Segerlund.