gotmail-list

Re: [gotmail] spam/phishing on gotmail list

From: James Lick
Subject: Re: [gotmail] spam/phishing on gotmail list
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 09:10:17 +0800

Tom Duffy wrote:

Get a spam filter.

Will there be a spam filter for the list archives as well? They will be pretty useless in a month or two at this rate if not. Every other list I'm on allows posting by members or by owner approval only. Owner approval allows for the occasional participation by non-members. Every other list I'm on that has not had this policy has turned into a sewer of spam within a couple of months, leading to massive numbers of people unsubscribing and the list eventually becoming useless. You're welcome to your sewer if that's what you want.

I do have a spam filter. However, by default I whitelist the mailing lists I'm on. As I mentioned above, usually that is not a problem. Whitelisting is useful because every spam filter has false positives, resulting in legitimate mail being junked. As well, every spam filter has false negatives, so that even with a spam filter, some spam to the list would leak through. I certainly hope that your opinion isn't shared by the list owners, as it would be much easier to unsubscribe than deal with the extra burden of spam.

--
James Lick -- 黎建溥 -- address@hidden -- http://jameslick.com/