gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Ed W
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 13:13:41 +0100

Hi

Incidentally I have a load of these (very inexpensive):

http://www.bluenext.co.uk/bluetooth-products/gps/92-bn-903s-gps-dongle.html

They are detected as a "cp210x: v0.09:Silicon Labs CP210x RS232
serial adaptor driver".  Some googling suggests this is a USB2
chipset?
Sadly, as esr has found out, the cp210x linux driver is very poor and
gets no love from the vendor.  It does not support basic ioctl() calls
that gpsd needs to utilize the PPS signal.  So until there is a good
driver for them they are not an option for gpsd users.

Quick heads up, but assuming a the device above does not have PPS signals wired, what additional ioctl calls would benefit accuracy with gpsd? (and why?) I would be interested to investigate adding kernel support

Thanks

Ed W