gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS over USB
Date: Mon, 7 May 2012 11:34:10 -0700

Yo Ed!

On Mon, 07 May 2012 13:11:50 +0100
Ed W <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06/05/2012 23:41, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > That too, if you want to get the cp210x driver to support
> > ioctl(TIOCMWAIT) then that would be a kernel patch.
>
> According to a mail on your thumbgps list these are supported?

So we thought in March.  Now we know better.

> However, I just looked through the cp210x kernel module and I don't
> see *any* implementation of ioctl there at all?

Look again, it is there.  For comparision grep the source of other
USB serial for TIOCMWAIT.  Read the adjacent code for context and you'll
see how it works.

> Note there is a vendor cp210x driver which does contain an
> implementation of TIOCMIWAIT.

And from what we hear the vendor driver is not good.  Eric has
more detail on that.

> From eyeballing it, it looks
> straightforward in it's implementation (no idea why it's not in
> kernel?)

Which gets outside the scope of gpsd.  If you can get the kernel driver
fixed then have at it, until then it is off our plate.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588