gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] OS X dropped. How I think about our platform priorities

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] OS X dropped. How I think about our platform priorities
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 10:18:57 -0500

Frank Nicholas <address@hidden>:
> The "-b" option resolved all the strangeness, and the bluetooth GPS works.
>  cgps works.  I can start/stop/start gpsd on Ubuntu, with no ill effects.
> I then re-paired the GPS with OS X and it works perfectly.  I can
> start/stop/start gpsd on OS X, with no ill effects.  All of this testing
> (start/stop/start/re-pair/Linux/OS X) was without power cycling the GPS.
>
> Whatever gpsd does without the "-b" is getting my GlobalSAT BT-318 in an
> unusable state.  Is auto-bauding all that's disabled with "-b"?  Is some of
> the probing/device type detection disabled with "-b"?  Maybe the probing is
> triggering the condition...

The -b option disables all writes to the GPS, so it could be either the
probing or the autobauding.

I think it is much more likely to be the autobauding.  But you can test this.
Make two custom builds:

* one with minimal=yes and sirf=yes.  That will knock out most or all of the
  autoprobing.

* one with all drivers in but the baud rate fixed via fixed_port_speed.

Then see which one wedges the GPS.

I'll update the database entry for the BT-318 appropriately.  I'll also
add this troubleshooting procedure to the FAQ.