gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 23:59:49 -0400

On 03/22/2016 01:24 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> The Python 3 transition is upon us. Fedora rawhide is switching to
> Python 3 as its 'python' default.
>
> Fortunately, in response to similar issues around reposurgeon, Peter
> Donis and I have written up a relatively simple set of code
> transformations that allows Python code to run 'polyglot', that is
> not caring whether its interpreter is Python 2 or Python 3
>
> You can read the HOWTO at
>
> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/practical-python-porting/
>
> I have applied this method to most of the GPSD Python code and tested
> the results.  A couple of minor tweaks remain to be done, and there is
> one significant problem; I can't verify that xgps or xgpsspeed work
> under Python 3 because on Ubuntu there are no 3.x packages for gobject
> or pygtk under Ubuntu.

Haven't python-gobject and pygtk both been deprecated for a while--
in favour of just using python-gi?

Looking at the Debian package description for python-gtk2, it says:

        This package is deprecated, you should migrate to using
        gobject-introspection (GIR) based python bindings instead (PyGObject).
        https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/PyGObject/IntrospectionPorting

That would seem to explain why there's nothing like a "python3-gtk" package in
Ubuntu....