gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD and the Python 3 transition
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 14:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Fred Wright wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >
> > I have since forward-ported xgppspeed.  Unlike cgps, which is dependent on
> > the compiled clienthelpers module, "python3 xgpsspeed" can be tested in
> > place
> > on current Ubuntu.  So we're now completely moved to Gtk 3.0 using
> > Python-GI.
>
> Confirmed working on OSX with Python 2.7, 3.4, and 3.5.  These are the
> only Python versions supported by the MacPorts py-gobject3 (not
> necessarily due to incompatibility).  I only tested the Python 3 cases
> from the build directory, rather than messing with python_libdir, though I
> also tested the installed xgps and xgpsspeed outside the build directory
> with Python 2.7.

Followup:  I tested them installed with the appropriate python_libdir for
Python 3.5, and xgpsspeed worked but xgps failed with the clienthelpers
issue, so there's some tweak needed for clienthelpers beyond
python_libdir.

As expected, in this case xgpsspeed only worked when prefixed by
'python3', since the libraries didn't get installed in the default Python
2.7.

Fred Wright