gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] Speeding up autobauding

From: Jonathan Fewtrell
Subject: [gpsd-users] Speeding up autobauding
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 11:51:01 +0800

Having upgraded from 3.1 to 3.7, I find autobauding is slower than before.
Whereas previously it was taking around 2 mins, it can now be 7 mins or longer,
which is way too long to be acceptable for users. This is on Mac OS X 10.8.
After the first time, the baud seems to be remembered between sessions and
connection is pretty much instantaneous, but restarting the machine causes it
to be lost.

My app is primarily for AIS (so normally 38400 baud) but also handles GPS
(normally 4800). Ideally I'd like to be able to start the autobauding at 38400,
as 90+% of the time this will be the right value. Is this possible via the API?

Alternatively, can I tweak the code myself to produce this result? I don't
really want to do this as it would mean my having to distribute my own version
of gpsd to users, when they might already be using the standard version. But
I'll do it if necessary. Pointers on how to do so without messing up the code
would be appreciated. Would it be as simple as changing the order of the
members of the rates[] array in serial.c (around line 529)?