gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Will proprietary NMEA extensions be included in gpsd?

From: Svenn Are Bjerkem
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Will proprietary NMEA extensions be included in gpsd?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 00:24:40 +0200

On 26 June 2015 at 15:15, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:

> PORZD is an odd thing: "RMS error of plane coordinates.
>
> Why not use the standard sentences for reporting errors?  GPGGA and
> GPGLL aklready provide the HDOP which is more useful than the RMS error
> of the PORZD.  GPDOP provides PDOP, HDOP and VDOP.

RMS error is quite different from HDOP.   It's perhaps HDOP * UERE or
something, so I can see your point that this is gratuitous.   Surely
it's computed, so arguably it isn't that useful if the other things are
reported.

I do not have much knowledge about the fine math of GNSS. I just saw an report from gpsd on unsupported message on my new GNSS setup.

Are these

http://web.pdx.edu/~jduh/courses/Archive/geog481w07/Students/Franczyk_RMSE_Accuracy.pdf
http://www.leb.esalq.usp.br/disciplinas/Molin/leb447/Arquivos/GNSS/ArtigoAcuraciaGPSsemAutor.pdf

talking about the correct thing? I guess you guys know more about this, but I want to make sure I read myself up on the right thing.

--
Svenn