gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Fwd: GPSD usage with Garmin 16x GPS module

From: lokesh kumar Nijalinge
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Fwd: GPSD usage with Garmin 16x GPS module
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 01:12:52 +0530

Thanks Gary and George.

We were able to solve the issue.
Including  -b  option while running gpsd made the trick.
Yes surely GPSD tries to communicate with GPS module.

Thanks,
Lokesh

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo lokesh!

On Fri, 11 Sep 2015 00:17:30 +0530
lokesh kumar Nijalinge <address@hidden> wrote:

> I tried changing baud rate. I am not able to see NMEA data using *cat
> /dev/ttyS0 *, but issue remains the same.

Yup.  Until plain 'cat /dev/ttyS0' works there is not much point
complicating the test case.  Just be sure your 16X is in NMEA mode.

> Does the gpsd tries to communicate to the GPS module? As the hardware
> i am working on has only *DataIN* line is connected from the GPS.

Without the -b option, documented in the gpsd man page, gpsd tries
send a few probes and configuration items to the GPS.  With -b it send
nothing.  Either should work fine, as long as you see good data with the
'cat /dev/ttyS0'.  No data, then nothing gpsd can do with nothing.

At some point you will want to be able to send data to the GPS so
you really should hook up the data out line.  If nothing else, 4800bps
is way too slow for mmuch of anything, so you need to be able to bump
the speed up.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588