gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] NTP with GPS & 1PPS

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] NTP with GPS & 1PPS
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 12:05:47 -0800

Yo Sam!

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016 19:47:15 +0000
Sam Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have flag3 set to 1 for the NMEA driver which is supposed to have
> it do the pps.

Ah, you are using the json driver.  I advise against that.  It makes
debugging hard and leads to stability issues.  Just use the SHM driver.

> I think I tracked the issue down to the fact that the
> timepps.h  that comes with pps-tools doesn't seem to think that
> linuxpps supports kernel calls to time_pps_kcbind.

Nope, works just fine.  But regardless of json or SHM driver the
ntpd should not be doing kpps calls, only gpsd should do that, but your
syslogs show ntpd doing it.

> I was trying to
> get ntp to go directly to the serial port for the nmea messages and
> directly to the pps signal using just the NMEA driver but I may have
> to switch how I am doing this.

If you have ntpd doing everything, then why are you using gpsd?  let
gpsd do the NMEA and PPS, like in the howto.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588