gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Support request for NavSpark GPS modules!

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Support request for NavSpark GPS modules!
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:22:37 -0700

Yo Sriram!

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 10:43:30 -0500
Sriram Chadalavada <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I see in their example they mention hooking up to a USB to serial
> > converter.
> > For better timing that should likely be USB 2.0 Hi-speed.  But even
> > that would be a crime to the PPS.
>
> I have used USB 2.0 with their evaluation kit. Can you provide some
> information on why the PPS NEEDS USB 3.0?

Hi-Speed is USB 2.0, so I did not mention USB 3.0.  I'm not sure there
exists a USB 3.0 to serial converter.  If there was I would like to
try one.

The poll rate on Full-Speed (USB 1.1) limmites the PPS accuracy to
around 1 mSec.  Full-Speed (USB 2.0) gets you up to (going from memory)
about 125 uSec accuracy.  That is still way worse than the few uSec
you can get from a simple RS-232 port at KPPS.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588