gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD SOCK output without PPS

From: Miroslav Lichvar
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] GPSD SOCK output without PPS
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 12:50:33 +0200

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:00:48AM -0400, Zach LaCelle wrote:
> I'm testing out a u-blox EVK-7P, and would like to get the gpsd->chrony
> pipeline working well on the bench before building out the system. I have
> the SHM interface working for normal, rough synchronization, but I'd
> eventually like to wire in and use the PPS output.
>
> I understand that the PPS source won't work until I do, but I was hoping to
> test out the SOCK interaction, even without the PPS accuracy wired in.
> However, I don't receive any messages over the socket connection.

That's expected. If I understand it correctly, the socket is used only
for PPS-based samples, i.e. it provides the same data as SHM segments
with odd numbers. If gpsd is not writing to SHM 1 (or 3, 5, ...) it
will not write to the corresponding /var/run/chrony*.sock either.

I think it would need to use a separate socket for message-based
samples. For each SHM segment there would be a separate socket. Mixing
PPS and non-PPS samples in the same socket might not work very well.

--
Miroslav Lichvar