gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] How to use ubxtool with gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] How to use ubxtool with gpsd
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 10:55:54 -0700

Yo John!

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 15:10:04 +0000
John Klug <address@hidden> wrote:

> The pps is specified because we have two pps devices (and sometime
> six or more tty).

air enough.

> As far as -F is concerned on the gpsd command line, I see that it is
> meant to allow a change of the gps device.  So is it non-functional
> when the devices are specified on the command line?

Nope.  Your udev is probably auto-adding the /dev/ttyXRUSB* to
gpsd, and then you are also doing that manually.  So double reading
that one device.

Pick one: manual or auto.

> I verified that
> the device is actually created.  I suppose it could be used in the
> remote case that somebody connects a GPS to another serial line.

Not just remote, local too.  And not all serial lines, just those
that do hotplugging.

> Sorry I was mixed up on the gps device parameter for ubxtool.  I
> found that if I use the correct serial port, ubxtool does work:
>
> ubxtool -p PMS 127.0.0.1:2947:/dev/ttyXRUSB2

Great.

Please play some more with ubxtool.  I'm sure their are rough edges,
plus many use cases I did not think of.

I tend to use ubxtool to enable/disable NMEA/BINARY and to change
the GNSS in use.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588