grammatica-users

Re: [Grammatica-users] Impact + grammatica = true?

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-users] Impact + grammatica = true?
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 23:08:55 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words about Grammatica! The "messy" grammar
formats in JavaCC and ANTLR was actually one of the main points
for writing yet another parser generator. :)

Looking around on the IGES site, I didn't find any easily
digestible specification. So it's rather hard to say how good a
fit Grammatica might be just looking at a few examples. Also,
if there is a BNF specification for IGES, it will make writing
Grammatica grammars easier.

Grammatica generates the same type of parsers as JavaCC and
ANTLR (i.e. LL(k) parsers), so the capabilities are similar.
Question is rather if a tool like this is suitable for the
type of grammar you are looking at. Certainly, it is always
possible to create a grammar that accepts any valid IGES file,
but the problem is to break down the structure in such a way
as to make the output actually useful.

If you want to play with Grammatica, I suggest using the
latest development version and the "--parse" and "--tokenize"
modes. That way to can experiment with Grammatica without
writing more than a .grammar file.

Cheers,

/Per

PS. Sorry if you are having problems accessing the web site
currently. My DNS provider has been under a DDOS attack all
day, so IP lookups work poorly at the moment. :-(

Jonas Forssell wrote:
Hello,

I'm part of a team of developers for Impact (http://impact.sf.net).

First of all, let me congratulate you on the simplicity of grammatica. I had a look at JavaCC but was soon lost in the examples - mixing grammar and code. grammatica seems much cleaner.

We need to extend Impact with more interfaces. First step will be a parser for IGES graphical format (http://www.nist.gov/iges/)

This format consists of four main blocks (Start, Global, Directory, and Property) where some have fixed formats and some use separators.

I'm concidering using grammatica as the basis for all future Impact parsers. Will it be able to cope with advanced file structures such as IGES?

Thanks
/Jonas Forssell, Gothenburg, Sweden