grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.25.10

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] [platform-testers] new snapshot available: grep-2.25.107-f275
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2016 17:03:24 -0700

I can reproduce the problem on AIX. It's due to a recent thinko in the progname configuration. m4/getprogname.m4 says "AC_CHECK_DECLS([__progname], [], [], [char *__progname;])" but this test always "succeeds" since the test provides the declaration that it is "testing" for. I'm not sure what that test is doing there (it's trying to work around some OpenBSD brain damage that I don't understand), but I expect this problem will hit platforms other than AIX so we really should fix it.

If the intent is that we should test whether the library has an undeclared __progname variable, then I suppose we should use an AC_LINK_IFELSE for it instead of using AC_CHECK_DECLS.

Assaf Gordon wrote:

I see the Dagobert Micheleson has setup automated testing on OpenSolaris,
and his builds do not fail
(https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/buildbot/waterfall?tag=ggrep),
so perhaps my testing environment is wonky (his builds are from git and use
'gmake',
mine are from tarball and use non-gnu 'make',
but we seem to be building on the same machines, 'unstable10x' and
'unstable10s').

I cannot reproduce the problems on my department's Solaris 10 and Solaris 11 machines. I built from tarballs with non-GNU 'make' and with Sun C 5.12 (Solaris 11) and with Oracle Developer Studio 12.5 aka Sun C 5.14 (Solaris 10).