grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] buildbot failure in OpenCSW Buildbot on ggrep-solaris10

From: Dagobert Michelsen
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] buildbot failure in OpenCSW Buildbot on ggrep-solaris10-sparc
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 11:43:44 +0200

Hi Paul,

Am 21.08.2017 um 02:08 schrieb Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:
> Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> The error lies in #72 in your configure.ac
>
> Thanks for helping to debug it. configure.ac is itself OK; the problem is
> that build-aux/git-version-gen is a shell script that uses the construct
> ${v#-g*} in line 170, and Solaris 10 /bin/sh does not understand that
> construct.
>
> It seems to me that the Buildbot configuration is still at fault here,
> because the code in question runs before 'configure' is invoked. We do not
> attempt to be portable to arbitrary development environments in the
> pre-configure stage of the build, as it is reasonable to assume that
> developers are running recent-enough versions of Autoconf, M4, Git, etc., and
> it's not necessary to run these tools to build from distribution tarballs.

Definitely, that is why I invoke „bootstrap“ with /opt/csw/bin/bash and $SHELL
is set
correctly. Shouldn’t $SHELL be used for the tools invoked from „bootstrap“?

> Because there is an easy fix in Gnulib I installed the attached patch.
> However, in the long run if you want to continue to build on Solaris 10 I
> expect you will need to fix the Buildbot procedure so that it does only
> './configure; make' on Solaris 10. That is what I do, when I test on Solaris
> 10.

I am not sure what needs adjustment here, from your comment I read that the PATH
should include something like bash as /bin/sh which I cannot provide, or did I
missing something here?

Your fix worked and there are now 2 test failures:

https://buildfarm.opencsw.org/buildbot/builders/ggrep-solaris10-sparc/builds/94

Best regards

  — Dago

--
"You don't become great by trying to be great, you become great by wanting to
do something,