grep-devel

Re: [Grep-devel] handling of non-BMP characters

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: [Grep-devel] handling of non-BMP characters
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 11:42:54 -0800

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM Bruno Haible <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Jim,

> > > It also fails on Cygwin (that is, on the platform for which this test was
> > > initially introduced by Corinna Vinschen, in 2013).
> >
> > Thanks.
> > With that, I conclude it is time to disable this test, and have just
> > done so with the following:
> > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grep.git/commit/?id=bdb98cec2e7bf255e1d00eaf8be16299f7bf571e
>
> To me, that means to move a serious regression under the rug.
>
> Recall what the test does: It creates a file 'in', whose contents is a single
> (non-BMP) character, followed by a newline. Then it runs
>    grep --file=in in
> On glibc systems and more generally on systems where wchar_t is a 32-bit type,
> this invocation prints the character and exits with code 0.
> On Cygwin systems (and, in some conditions, also AIX systems), this
> invocation prints nothing and exits with code 1.
>
> To me, that is serious, because from the user point of view, characters should
> not be handled differently depending on whether they are in the BMP or not.
> (Recall that this is happening in a UTF-8 locale.)
>
> It's a regression, because as I understand it from the commit logs, the test
> must have succeeded on Cygwin right after Corinna Vinschen committed it.

I suppose it's a regression on Cygwin, but given the code went missing
and no one even noticed the test failure for so long, I have to
question its importance.

As implied in the commit log where I have just deleted the test, I
would welcome any attempt to revive it, especially if the result
includes a test that will be easy to run on a non-cygwin system.