Re: [Groff] Proposal for raster graphics extensions to gpic

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Proposal for raster graphics extensions to gpic
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 18:14:00 +0100 (CET)

> But a proposal should definitely NOT be limited to postscript and
> pnm - it should be far more general - allowing support for a range
> of formats as required.

I see your point.  A new try:

  Implement a function in libgroff to recognize the type of *any*
  image and to extract the bounding box.  I'm rather sure that such a
  program already exists which code can be reused -- an extended
  `file' program, for example.  In groff, add a request `.imagebb';
  the extended \X syntax could be:

    \X'image: ...'

  without specifying the image type.  The device driver then calls the
  appropriate XXXtopnm external program in case it can't understand
  the image format natively.

Some graphics manipulation options are necessary to be added to the
DESC file and to the command line of the device driver, e.g., how to
convert colour to gray or which type of dithering.

It becomes really tricky...

    Werner