Re: [Groff] What's missing for Unicode support of groff?

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] What's missing for Unicode support of groff?
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 10:08:28 -0400

>   The obvious king's path for this is to use GNOME's pango.

Obvious? Some of us aren't using Linux, let alone GNOME.

> What else is needed to support Unicode on the input side?

My suggestion would be to start by picking one of the several UTF-8
preprocessors that have floated across the list   lately, and include it in
groff. Perhaps it's a little late to do for 1.19.2, but the next update could
include it. That should give manpage writers a start and take some of the
pressure off Werner, giving him time to really do it right. But Werner is
probably going to end up doing most of the work, so it's his call in the end.
--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"