Re: [Groff] character garble

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] character garble
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:50:50 -0400

On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 10:52:14PM -0600, D. E. Evans wrote:
> This works with 'man groff | less -R'

On OpenBSD more is a hard link to less.
So it works with more -R too.
Read on.

> This doens't appear to work

Yes it does.
Put this in your .profile (I already sent you a message about this)
        MANPAGER="more -R"
        export MANPAGER

>      o If the environment variable GROFF_NO_SGR is set, SGR output is
>        disabled, reverting to the old behaviour.
>
> nor does this.

Totally not true.
I had this set in my profile before more -R and it worked fine.

> Is there some configuration for OpenBSD where I can automate this
> so that it doesn't have to be typed, with a pipe through less, at
> the command line?

People have already told you many ways to do it.
I use OpenBSD every day, and both of the options above (not together,
but one or the other) when used in my .profile work flawlessly.

        Zvezdan Petkovic