Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:07:32 -0400

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 10:51:45PM -0600, D. E. Evans wrote:
> groff is now a major component in a majority (I would think) of
> UNIX systems, and UNIX variants.  It is used for online manuals,
> and print manuals; it is used for writing documentation, memos,
> letters, and so on.

I don't agree with this assessment.
Take a look at O'Reilly books (colophon section).
Until recently they all were converted from format X into groff and
printed.  Take a look at books written by W. R. Stevens.
Even the updated editions after his death are done by the new co-authors
in groff.
I think that limiting groff to "documentation, memos, letters, and
manuals" is not right.

Regards,

        Zvezdan Petkovic