Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 15:47:19 -0400

Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:

And people who tell me that I should use a graphical front-end for XML
mark-up are equally clueless.  It's not faster at all to move my hand
towards the mouse, find the menu, and choose one of 200 DocBook elements just to put a word in constant-width font (as it turns out eventually in
PDF, HTML, or any other of DocBook supported formats).  Ridiculous.
It is a fantastic way to lose the concentration during writing.

As I progressed through my manual I diligently tagged each word that
should be tagged, got tired of that and ended up basically writing the
plain ASCII text just to be able to concentrate on writing.

Then I went through a text for proofreading and used my Vim function
(bound to a keystroke) to enclose words in tags selected from the narrow
vertical buffer with DocBook keywords.

I use structured FrameMaker at work to write documentation, and one
of the easier ways I've found to get text into it is to paste it into Vim then pipe lines through scripts that wrap blocks of text in tags (lists, sections, and so forth). I then import that into Frame. It works very well, although
the technique is probably specific to the writer and the work involved.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"