Re: [Groff] Manuals in pdf format

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Manuals in pdf format
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:58:22 -0500

> Miklos Somogyi wrote:
>
>>>    The simplest thing to do is to use 9 after viii, not 1.
>>
>> This is against all rules of typography.
>
> I have seen quite a few pdf books/manuals that are against all rules of
> typography, e.g. ...
>
> This "i, ii, ..., 1, 2" system was all right in the age of paper 'cause
> any-one page had only one page number.
> In the age of pdf one has two numbers to describe the same thing.
> Clickable links are good, very good, two numbers for the same thing is
> perhaps not.

You can set use the /PAGELABEL PDFmark so that the PDF's idea of page
numbers match what's printed in the headers and footers. You would put
something like this at the top of the page:

     [ /Label (iii) /PAGELABEL pdfmark

This kind of thing should be easier in general, but I think if you're using the
mspdf macros, I think it's as simple as defining the HD macro:

  .de HD
  .  pdfmark /Label (\\n% /PAGELABEL
  ..

I haven't tried this yet, but it ought to work. If it does, it's one more thing
that's trivial to do in groff that's much tougher to do with "modern" graphical
tools.

-- Larry